Esteemed guests of the day, Honorable Managing Trustee, Dignitaries on the dais, Principals of our sister concerns, Prospective Teachers, Non- Teaching Staff members and dear students,
With respectful Pranams at the lotus feet of our patron Sri Sri Bharathee Theertha Maha Swamigal of Sree Sarada Peetam Sringeri, I feel much privileged to present the report of the functioning of this institution during the academic year 2014-2015 before the august audience present here.
Adi Sankara Training College named after the great Philosopher, Sri Adi Sankaracharya started its journey in the year 2005 and keeps a mission to mould the future teachers of our country with strong base on Philosophy, Psychology, Pedagogy and to create awareness on many innovative teaching methods and technology. This temple of knowledge is run by the Adi Sankara Trust and at present the entire administration of the educational institutions under the trust is efficiently carried out by the Managing Trustee Advocate K Anand. With the Guidance and support of Board of Trustees, Academic Council Members, Teachers, Parents, Well Wishers, Staff and Students we could continue to maintain good reputation among other Teacher Education colleges in the state.
Our education sector is on the threshold of path breaking reforms. To ensure quality teacher training, the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) has made some sweeping changes from this academic year 2015-16 onwards. NCTE increased the duration of the Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) programme from one year to two years with major changes in the curriculum.
This change also comes with some other strict norms for students. Students have been mandated to complete B.Ed. within three years from the date of admission with attendance requirement of 80% and a college can have an intake of 1 unit consisting of 50 students .The aim is to produce quality teachers. strict norms for Colleges is also there., only those Colleges that have the required infrastructural and instructional facilities will only be permitted to increase the intake of students.
Hope this increase in duration generates better, professional and outstanding teachers.
Hence ,unlike the previous years this year we have two batches at a time.
This year is marked with many events and success stories. This can be attributed to the dedication and team spirit of the staff, students and members of the management.
As the college is functioning under the self financing stream, we follow the directions and policies of the State Government and the University in the admission procedure. 50% seats are filled through Management Quota and another 50% through Merit Quota .Reservation policy of the Government is strictly followed. We give wide publicity of the admission process in the popular dailies and through the Medias. For the academic year 2014-15 we started admission since October 2014 onwards. For the one year B.Ed programme we have 100 students distributed in 7 optionals. Admission to two year programme was completed on August 5th 2015 and we have 35 students in the two year batch . At present we have 135 students spreading over two batches.
In the beginning of each academic year staff council is formed. Staff members are elected for different positions. The staff council will assist the Principal in the administration and staff-members are assigned with different duties. The Principal is presiding over all the staff council meetings to make major decisions.
Principals discusses academic plan with the staff during the staff – meeting. All works are divided among staff members. All the matters are discussed to implement successfully.
IQAC (Internal Quality Assessment Call)
The national assessment and Accreditation Council advocated the establishment of Internal Quality assurance Cell (IQAC) by all the institutions as a pre accreditation quality sustenance activity. Our institution established Internal Quality Assurance Cell in the year 2010. This cell is composed of Pricipal and four staff-members. The primary aim of IQAC is also to develop a system for conscious, consistent and catalytic action to improve the academic and administrative performance of the institution. The IQAC cell is monitoring each and every activity and frequently conduct meeting to ensure improvement in the quality of the college of teacher education. The IQAC also support the organization of national level and state level seminars and promote the organization of curricular and co- curricular programme.
A day of the college start with the morning assembly. Morning Prayer, thought for the day, and sharing the important news of the day are useful to fill the minds of the budding teachers with moral values, ethics and civic responsibility. Talents Day
As a teacher, they should possess different talents. To find out and develop different values of the student’s teachers, Talent Day is conducted. All the students express their talents in different ways. Most of them are well-versed in singing, dancing, drawing and organizing programmes. Based on their performance student teachers are divided into four houses to ensure healthy competition in arts and sports fests organized at the college.
College Union Election
Every year Union Election is held as per the direction of Mahatma Gandhi University Kottayam. The official election of the college union was held on 8th January 2015 and all office bearers were elected unanimously. The Oath taking ceremony was observed on 9th January 2015. The following students swore in as the members of the student council for the year 2014-15
College Union chairman - Arun Raphel Vice- chairperson - Thasni Kabeer General Secretary - Neethu Varghese University Union Councilor - Ajmal Maideen Magazine Editor - Krishna kumar m Arts Club Secretary - Aswathy J Panikar Sports Club Secretary - Laksmi P.U Lady Representative - Krishna priya SC/ST Representatives - Vinia M.V
College Union election is very important in its nature because India, in its political set up, is wedded to democracy. So we have to train the students and youth of this country by forming self-government to safe-guard and promote the democratic flair of the society.
Arts and College Union Inauguration
Arts Club and College union inauguration was held on 3rd February 2015. Sri Hibi Eden MLA inaugurated the union activities and Sri. Jude Antony Joseph Film Director inaugurated the Arts Club activities. Sri. K. Ananad and Smt. Vasantha vinodkutty , Principal Sree Sarada Vidyalaya gave special address at the occasion. Variety of entertainment programme was staged by the students.
Seminars and Workshops
Our training college is very much bound to provide knowledge enriching seminars, workshops, exhibitions, Quiz competitions etc for our teacher-trainees.
A State Level seminar was organized by the college in Psychology on the topic ‘ The Confrontations and Concerns of Adolescents’ The seminar was in 3 sessions ‘-famous resource persons including Dr. Razeena Padmam , School of Behaviural science handled the sessions. Sri. K Anand and Dr. Ajith kumar , Principal Sree Sankara College spoke on the occasion.
Two Day Theatre Workshop was also organized by the college to the first year students, which was a grand success. Special thanks to Dr. C.K Sujeesh and renaissance club members of Sree Sankara college . Our students staged their own script, very enthusiastically.
Various clubs are functioning in the college for developing the skills of the teacher-trainees. Language Club, Science Club, Nature Club, Oratory Club, Health Club, Energy Club, Commerce Club, Maths Club, Social Science Club etc. function well.
This academic year 2014-15 the clubs have organized various programmes :
1. Energy club organized ‘Save Energy Programme’ an awareness programme by K.S.E.B Kalady. AXE.M.Y. George. Sub Engineers Joby & Gracy lead the programme.
2. Oratory Club ‘Abdulkalam Club’ organized a seminar on techniques and tips for good Oration. ’The Oration skills’ which was lead by Sri. P.N Krishnankutty, Director, Karneeji Oration Training centre.
3. Health Club presented a Yoga Class. The class was lead by Yogi Sureshji. The student-teachers participated in the programme enthusiastically.
4. Language Club ‘Sahithi’ organized a seminar on ‘Comparative Literature’. A book exhibition, quiz competition and an informative presentation on Literature was also presented. They released a Manuscript also.
5. Commerce Club of the college organized an informative seminar on ‘Indian Economy and Union Budget 2015’. The seminar was given by Sri. Abraham Thariyan.
6. Social Science Club presented a seminar on ‘General Law’ by Advocate Thankachan Vithayathil. The club organized a quiz competition for the students.
7. Teachers day was celebrated in a glorious way & organized Guruvandanam. 5 retired headmasters of nearby schools were invited for the function and were honored traditionally. The event was inaugurated by Prof. P.V Peethambaran Rtd. Prof. Sree Sankara College , Kalady.
8. The Nature Club organized cleaning programmes and planting trees, vegetables etc. They cultivated vegetables in the campus.
9. Maths club organized a seminar on ‘Research methodology and the seminar was presented by Dr. Jose Antony, HOD Sree Sankaracharya University of Sanskrit., Kalady.
10. Various other seminars like communicative English, The life and Preachings of Swami Vivekananda, The truth of the Bhagavat Gita etc. were some among them.
Important National and International Days celebrations
1. Speeches, skit and tableau were organized in connection with celebrations of the Human Rights Day on December 10th, 2014.
2. Bhagavat Gita Day was celebrated in grandeur by reciting the Gita. A highly informative seminar session was also done by Dr. Usha Associate professor , Dept of Sanskrit SS College , Kalady .
3. Vivekananda Jayanthi was celebrated, Swami Shivananda of Sri.Ramakrishna Advaitha Ashram am, Kalady gave an inspiring speech on Swami Vivekananda and his life.
4. The students of our college celebrated the Army Day on January 15th, 2015 which was a great experience for the whole gathering Patriotic Songs, Power Point presentation, Poem Recitation, Dance etc. added beauty to the function.
5. Science Day was celebrated in a grandeur. Presentations, speech, quizzing were presented by the students.
6. On Womens Day we invited Dr. Sheeba M, HOD dept. of Gender and Dalid studies, sree Snkaracharya University of Sanskrit, Dr. Padmaja Devi Associate
Professor SS College, Kalady as resource persons presented seminar on ‘Women and their Power’. The seminar sessions were highly informative.
7. ‘Madhuram Malayalam’ Programme of Mathrubhumi daily was started in the college.
Youth Festivals and Competitions
Our college take initiatives to improve the talents of our teacher-trainees. We, always allow students to participate in various competitions.
1. ‘Swami Vivekananda Elocution Competition’ which was held at B.H.S.S, Kalady, on January 5th, 2015,I am very much proud that our students bagged all the positions-first, second and third prizes in English as well as Malayalam elocution.
2. SAM FEST-a cultural competition for B.Ed colleges-held at SAM Training College, Poothotta on 13th March 2015. I have immense pleasure to announce that we were the second runner up of the events. We bagged a number of trophies in Group Dance, Group Song, Mime and Folk Dance.
3. M.E.S group conducted a State Level Essay writing competition in which our college won third prize through Mrs.Chandini P.K of Natural Science.
4. An elocution competition held at Sree Sankara College in connection with Agamananda Jayanthi, our team had great achievements. Eldhose .P Jacob, Krishnakumar M and Arun Raphael won prices.
5. On January 24th College organized sports and games meet. All the students participated in various events.
6. We have great pleasure to point out that we were also a part of Run Kerala Run held on January 20th ,2015.
SUPW and Community Service
SUPW is a part of the curriculum to evoke the social responsibility of the student teachers. In the year of 2014-15 our college organized various productive activities.
Umbrella Making: Student-teachers were taught and given practice to make umbrella. I would like to express my immense gratitude, to Fr. Paul and Sri. Pious of Kripa Bhavan, Chunagamvely, Aluva for supporting and guiding us to make umbrellas .The student-teachers were given proper guidance to prepare soap powder and Bath Soap too. Junior students were given training in liquid embroidery and glass painting under the guidance of two teachers from Pidilite company
Community service is a part of B.Ed curriculum. The students did service to the society by donating dresses and cloth materials, grocery, sanitary items, medicine and monitory support to Orphanages and the needy people. We visited the old age home ‘Daivadan’ and a Home for the mentally sick’- Aakashaparavakal at Malayattoor.
Field Trips and Tours
Field trips and tours always enrich knowledge of a person. To enrich the knowledge of our students in various aspects, we gave them a trip to special school for hearing impaired. On January 21st, the students visited Kalady-Sringeri temples and Sri Ramakrishna Advaita Ashram to get an awareness about the birth place of the great Guru and philosopher-Sree Sankaracharya. With 75 students and 4 teachers we organized a tour to OOtty and Kodaikkanal on 28th February 2015.
The placement cell of our college functions to impart information to the teacher trainees about the teaching opportunities in India and abroad and we also acts as a channel in recruiting teachers for schools in various parts of the country and abroad. Many number of schools of the Ernakulam district place their demands for various subject-teachers. We are happy to announce that almost all members of our alumni are teachers and administrative staff in both aided and unaided schools all over the country. In the recent past quite a few students got placement in, United Arab Emirates, Canada, , Maldives, and other countries across the globe which stands proof to the high standards of employability of those in teaching profession. I am proud to announce that this year two students Ashima antony and Arlene James got appointment in Kuwait.
I know that alumni of our college are our lasting legacy and strongest voice and our Alumni Association functions well in the college. Normally it meets once in an year. College convinces special meetings of the office bearers Of the Alumini Association to take important decision on important matters of the college. Many of the Alumini are well settled in different walks of life. So far around 900 committed teachers have come out in flying colures.
Parent Teacher Association is very actively working in the college which provide essential services to the students and staff, Sri. C.V Antony is the P.T.A President of the year 2014-15.
Festivals and Celebrations
The college always follows a secular outlook. We celebrated Christmas in a beautiful manner. Fr. Vipin Kurisumthara , Asst.Vicar of Carettu Matha Church, Neeleswaram gave X’Mas message to the gathering. The New Year Day and Onam were also celebrated. Students were provided a grand feast too.
Medical Camp & Medical Survey
The college organized a Mega Medical camp at Thuravoor, a small village in Kanjoor Grama Panchayath. As teachers are supposed to do social service and have a helping mentality, we always organize such programme. The college in coloboration with Corniche Medical Centre, Nedumbassery did a medical survey in the village. A mega medical camp and awareness programme were also organized.
The camp was a grand success with the participation from the inhabitants.
Orientation Programme for Faculty
In addition to various National & International seminars during the month of June and August 2015 , Our faculty attended 3 days Orientation class on two year B.Ed programme and one day workshop on Pedagogical aspects – new curriculum organized by Mahatma gandhi University , Kottayam Afew of our teachers presented papers in National and Internatioal seminars.
Practice Teaching & Preparations for Teaching
Discussion and demonstration classes were conducted in connection with preparation for teaching practice. Students underwent micro teaching practice to develop teaching skills. Student-teachers had their criticism classes at B.H.S.S Kalady. I would like thank the Management and H.M of B.H.S. on this occasion. The Practice teaching for the year 2014-15 was in the month of September to November. More than 35 schools helped us to complete the teaching Practice successfully.
Scheme Of Evaluation
The academic growth of the student is evaluated through continuous internal assessment and end semester examination..20% weightage is given for continuous internal assessment and 80% weightage for the end semester examination. In case of theory course the continuous internal assessment will be done by the faculty. The internal and external examination shall be evaluated using direct grading system based on 5 point scale .
Awards For Meritorious Students
Cash awards , trophies are awarded to the student who secure the highest scores in the B.Ed. Degree examination .Mrs. Beena Nandakumar and Sri K.T Polachan constituted cash prizes for the students who scores highest marks in Philosophy and Psychology .
Practical Examination 2015
B.Ed Practical Exam for the 2014-15 batch was on 1st and 2nd December 2015.Dr. Susmitha of SNM Training College Moothakunnam was the chairperson of the Practical Board. Our student’s performance was highly appreciated by the team. The quality of our works was also well appreciated. I must express my sincere gratitude to the Head masters of St. Sebastian Boys High School Kanjoor and SNDP H.S.S, Neeleswaram for providing students for our practical Examination.
I would like to say that our 2014-15 one year batch is leaving the college after successfully completing their course on January 29th, 2016. The two year batch students have now entered into their Second semester and from 18th January onwards they are going to schools for the School engagement programme which is a new addition as per the norms and regulations of NCTE.
I am very proud to announce the result of the college of the year 2013-14 , Our college has been able to maintain excellent results in the University Examinations for all these years. Now the college obtained 23 A+ ,52 A , 17 B and 3 C Grades. Priya P.K of Hindi optional came first by securing 1090 out of 1200.It is due to the dedicated performance of our faculties. This year, we are confident of achieving better results with more A+ and A grades.
I sincerely hope this batch of students will crown with great glory.
1. Thus the academic year 2014-2015 was really full of activities. We thank our patron for entire blessings showered on us throughout these years.
2. We convey our thanks to Mr. Anand M.D for his whole hearted support and co-operation to run the institution successfully.
I also take this opportunity to thank our Patron, Managing Trustee and Board of Trustees, members of the teaching staff and non-teaching staff, PTA, Alumni and my dear students for the sincere co-operation in the process of growth and development of the institution. And also I would like to announce that we have started management quota admission for the academic year 2016-17.
I wish a long life and glory to this institution. I pray the blessings of Adi Sankara to all.
Thank you all.
It gives me immence pleaure to welcome Dr. M. Dileep kumar, Hon. Vice chancellor of Sree Sankaracharya university of Sanskrit. He is a distinguished academician ,administrator and above all he is a very good person. I thank you sir for having accepted our invitation to be the chief guest of the day.
Dr. K.s Krishnakumar is a teacher educator for the 15 years, a poet orator and above all he is an International achiever and Best educationist awardee. I hope his speech will be an inspiring experience.